Joel woke me up at 6:00 this morning to tell me it was snowing. When I finally woke up and looked outside there was probably a good 6-7 inches on the ground. Pretty crazy stuff in the middle of October...even for Utah! Joel says he felt the "feeling of snow" in the air a couple days ago...he's pretty proud of the fact that he predicted it would snow and wasn't surprised at all to see it this morning.
Speaking of a couple days ago...the last several days have been difficult. We were in Orem over the weekend where Bria celebrated her 6th birthday on Friday (Happy Birthday Baby Girl!!) and then she started a high fever/loss of appetite on Saturday night. She's been totally lethargic ever since. It is now Tuesday night (well...actually Wednesday morning) and she has still not eaten a thing. She has existed on water and juice for the past several days. Her fever has not gone away, and she just lays there and doesn't talk much. If you know Bria, you know that this is rather alarming.
I took her to the pediatrician both yesterday morning and this morning. They ruled out strep, bronchitis and pneumonia and thought it might be appendicitis, but weren't confident enough to take any action. Just told me to watch her for another 24 hours. Well...this afternoon her fever climbed again to over 103 degrees and she was literally screaming about the pain in her abdomen.
It was a real struggle to me to decide to take her to the ER...mainly because the pediatrician really didn't think this was anything serious, and I didn't want to overreact. I didn't want to show up at the ER and have it be nothing really. But...I felt strongly that something was definitely not right. I knew we wouldn't get to the bottom of it unless we took her into the ER. Joel agreed. So tonight we went in. (And, as a sidenote to all my Arizona buddies: we were taken back to triage less than FIVE minutes after walking into emergency.)
Turns out the poor child actually does have pneumonia. Something the pediatrician had earlier ruled out. The abdominal pain was actually originating in her lower lung and causing some distress to her diaphragm. So, we're set now with antibiotics, a nebulizer and instructions. Hopefully we will see some improvement soon.
Just goes to show, trust your instincts. As a mother I knew something was really wrong with Bria and I feel bad that I didn't push it harder with the doctor this morning. I will next time, that's for sure. I have learned my lesson: Mother knows best. And I am just as proud of that fact as Joel is about the fact that he knew it would snow today.