2. Because I still love your curly hair, even if it is peppered in gray nowadays.
3. Because you will never leave the house in wrinkled clothes, and you (usually) don't make me iron them for you.
4. Because you are "well-rounded." I never wanted to date a musician, but when I found out you participated in lots of intramural sports programs, I decided it would be okay. I'm glad I did.
5. Because you have a smile that makes my heart skip a beat whenever you flash it at me.
6. Because you took over the cooking job in this house. Not only because you enjoy doing it, but because you know I really hate it.
7. Because you make sure our little family prays together morning and night, even if sometimes it's in the car on the way to church.
8. Because you are always willing to help me around the house, no matter how tired you are.
9. Because you are a walking New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians. It doesn't matter what comes on the classical music station, you know everything about it, down to the date it was composed.
10. Because you never give me the answers. You're such a natural teacher that you always help me come to the answer on my own (both in music and in life).
11. Because you never give the kids the answers, either. They will always be thankful to have had a father who led and guided them to figure out the right answer but never, ever gave it to them.
12. Because you honor your parents and always speak highly of them.
13. Because I can send you to the store to buy anything for me (and I do mean anything), and you will do it willingly and without complaint.
14. Because you are an awesome brother to each of your eight siblings.
15. Because you are incredibly supportive of me and the things I want to do, whether it be singing or photography or making our family live on 5 dollars a week.
16. Because no matter which calling you have in the church, you don't wing it. Your lessons are well-prepared, you go home teaching every single month even when it's almost impossible, and you make sure our family's building cleaning assignment is always done.
17. Because you can sing.
18. Because you are good. You are obedient and always try to do the right thing.
19. Because I love watching you conduct an orchestra, especially from the audience.
20. Because I love spending time with you. You are my best friend and we always have something to talk about no matter how much time we spend together.
21. Because you dream big, and you work hard to make those dreams a reality.
22. Because I am the only person on earth, besides your mother, who can read your horrendous handwriting.
23. Because you are a food snob. I really don't mind it, even if I roll my eyes at you. I kind of like knowing that whatever you deem worthy of putting in your mouth will be really, really good.
24. Because you are thorough. If I ask you to do a job for me, you will make sure it gets done right, even if it takes hours.
25. Because you call me during the day just to chat for a minute, and you don't mind if I call you during the day for some adult conversation.
26. Because you will drive the entire route of a road trip without complaint, because you know I would rather not.
27. Because you love the Lord.
28. Because I like holding your hand.
29. Because you always make sure that I come home to a clean house if I spend a few days away.
30. Because you don't mind that I keep the lamp on at night so I can read until 2 in the morning while you sleep.
31. Because you are an amazing father to our three daughters. I love watching you interact with them because it is clear how much you love them.
32. Because you treat me like a queen.
33. Because you will drop everything when somebody needs your help: You will go on splits with the missionaries or help somebody move at a moment's notice.
34. Because you stay calm while I am freaking out, and vice versa. You complement me perfectly.
35. Because you are always setting goals to be a better person. You have lists of them all over the house.
36. Because I love you more than I ever dreamed I could, even on the day we were married.
Happy Birthday, Joel!