But, even so, my theme for the year is to Lighten Up! And so if my schedule can't be very light right now, at least my attitude can.
Many things have filled my soul with sunshine and brightened my life in the last couple days. Here are five of them. I'd give you a longer list, but I'm completely out of time.
1. It's Fall in the Upper Peninsula! Nothing makes me happier than autumn. Even though this year I can't eat pumpkin bars (okay, so I have made a few gluten-free batches, but I had to quit...explanation forthcoming)(someday), autumn in the UP is unbeatable. I haven't had a chance to go out and get some really great photos, but I took this one from the grocery store parking lot on Saturday. An explosion of brightly colored leaves, the blue autumn sky, and sunshine.
I could go on and on about how October is my favorite month (even though it was still September when I took this), but I'll spare you.
2. Music at the Monastery! I must admit, I love that we are on the exclusive list of musicians/music patrons that get invited to these wonderful recitals each year. I so look forward to it every fall. They had two recitals this fall, and I attended both of them. This past Sunday, The Maestro didn't want to come with me because he'd gotten in late from Chicago the night before, so I took a friend of mine and Chloe. I took this picture of the sun beginning to set as we were headed home. Gotta love that iPhone sunflare--pure sunshine for the soul.
I did nothing to this photo. This is straight out of phone.
3. The Northern Lights! They were out on Sunday night. I took this photo right from my front porch (sans tripod, sadly). What with the "city" lights and the Harvest Moon, it was not that dark out and it was a miracle they were so bright. And since the Northern Lights are caused by the sun, there's more literal sunshine for this girl's soul.
Yeah, I have yet to cross "take an in-focus, good picture of the Northern Lights" off my bucket list. But I do like that I caught The Big Dipper and a fall tree. It's something.
4. I painted my laundry room yellow! Well, the part of it that isn't made out of 100-year old stone foundation, anyway. It's like a dungeon in that laundry room, and since I'm getting a new washer and dryer, I thought I'd brighten up the place with a sunshiny yellow. I kind of love it. It sure beats the dreary, dark paneling that was there before! And now perhaps I will actually get more laundry done--especially in the winter when nobody ever wants to go down there! Especially with my brand new fancy laundry doing machines!
And yes, painting the floor is the next item on the docket. I ordered a cute rug, too. Can't wait. It's the simple things, isn't it?
5. Hilarious notes from my children! Especially this one, from Chloe. I've always called her my little sunshine, so it totally counts for this list. She's working on one of those "book reports" that is disguised as an "art project," and she is such a perfectionist. She read a book, made the project and then tore it all up because it wasn't just so. She then decided she didn't like that book after all, so she read another book and is currently working on the project (actually, she finished tonight)(and yes, I did let myself help her). Yesterday afternoon she had quite the little meltdown over writing the paragraph that summarizes the book. She hated every single suggestion I gave her and then it was time to go to violin lessons. On the way there, she hands me a little piece of construction paper that she had fashioned into a folder and told me it was a note from her teacher. Inside, I found this note.
I read it and promptly died from the cuteness. I mean, www.pleasehelpChlow.org? (Chlow rhymes with slow, FYI) And, "Yes, I will let myself help her?" The child slays me.
And I'm still chuckling about it. That's true soul sunshine, right there.
What's brightening your life lately?