Friday, July 28, 2006

Welcome Baby Sophia!!

Sophia Blake Na'auali'i
July 25, 2006
6 lb, 11 oz
20 inches long

The Story of Sophia's birthday:

8:30 am:
I woke up feeling a little damp, like I'd slept in a wet bedding. It's been so hot lately that I thought at first I probably was really sweaty. I started to suspect that my water had broken after changing into dry underwear and feeling damp again several minutes later. I couldn't really tell if there was any fluid leaking, and it was definitely not the huge gush I'd experienced with my other two babies, so I wasn't at all sure what was going on.

9:50 am:
I had a Dr. appointment, so I decided I'd ask while I was there. When she checked me she also did a swab for amniotic fluid. After looking at the microscope slide for several minutes, she determined that there was a small amount of amniotic fluid present, that my bag of waters had indeed been "broken," even though it was just a very slow leak, and sent me to the hospital to have my baby. I was dilated to a 3+ and 70% effaced.

10:30 am:
I called Joel while leaving the Doctor's office to tell him the exciting news. We were both incredibly relieved because he has to be in Cedar City by Monday, July 31st and it didn't look like there was any way he could be present for Sophia's birth if she didn't come before he left, and since my due date isn't until August 10th it seemed unlikely. I also called my parents to let them know we would have a baby later that day. My mom was particularly excited since she's been saying for more than a month that the baby would come on Tuesday, July 25th. What an amazing prediction--perhaps she should start a "when will your baby be born?" website!

11:45 am:
Finally arrive at the hospital after getting the kids taken care of, gassing up the car, and taking care of a few other minor last minute details. I was not in labor in any way, shape or form, but was directly admitted to labor and delivery. Dr. Mourad, one of my favorite doctors from the group I go to, was there to admit me.

12:30 pm:
Dressed in hospital gown and situated in my room. The nurse starts the IV for my antibiotic. This pregnancy I tested positive for Group B Strep. This was very disconcerting to me because it means I have to have IV antibiotics for at least 4 hours of labor. With my previous labor and delivery experiences, I was terrified I wouldn't even make it to the hospital once I was in labor, much less have 4 whole hours there to make sure I received the antibiotics. So it was a huge blessing to have my water break the way it did so that I wasn't actually in labor when I got to the hospital and they could get the antibiotics started. So...the doctor ordered the antibiotics be started right away and then if I wasn't yet in labor to start pitocin 2 hours later.

2:30 pm:
I only had one contraction in the past 2 hours. A new nurse came and started me on pitocin. I was still very comfortable and not having noticable contractions. The pitocin was turned up every 15 or 20 minutes or so.

4:30 pm:
I was finally having a few contractions, but nothing "to brag about" as the nurse liked to put it. She checked me anyway, but I had made no progress...still dilated to a 3, slightly more effaced, but no progress. I asked her how often they would be checking me as labor progressed and she said, "Oh, I won't check you again until you either ask for pain medication or you have to push." This seemed like an absurd policy to me, so I told her that I was hoping not to ask for pain medication (which she already knew, but apparently forgot) and she still said that she probably wouldn't check again unless I felt like I needed to push. Then she left the room. I thought about it for a while, and I realized that if I am going to do this naturally like I want to, I am going to need some sort of gauge of the progress I was making.

6:00 pm:
Shift changes and I get another new nurse. The contractions are still not coming very hard or fast and Joel and I are still calmly watching TV.

7:00 pm:
Finally the contractions are becoming difficult to deal with and we turn off the TV and I start to do my hypnobirthing techniques.

7:45 pm:
I ask the nurse if she will please check me. She doesn't want to. I explain to her that I need to know where I am occasionally so I can decide if I am going to need any sort of pain medication. She finally agrees to check me and I am at a 5+. I decide to continue with hypnobirthing since I am making progress.

8:00 pm:
Dr. Mourad comes in and decides to break the rest of my water. It is obvious to me when he breaks it that I had indeed been leaking because it wasn't nearly the huge amount that it's been with my other two babies. Once it is broken my labor goes up several notches in intensity.

8:15 pm:
I feel like I need to push. Nurse checks me and I am at an 8. She says, "We'll have a baby by midnight, but if you're feeling like pushing now you might want to consider an epidural." I am still not sure why I believed that she knew what on earth she was talking about when I have had such incredibly fast labors in the past once I am in transition (which I clearly was). So she brings the paperwork and has Joel start reading it to me. Meanwhile, I REALLY need to push. I tell Joel to get the nurse now. (Did I mention that this nurse was always kind of slow in everything...didn't seem to have a sense of urgency at all and it really bugged me.) She finally saunters in and asks if I'm ready to sign the papers. I sign them. I NEED to push!!! It's about 8:20 now and she sloooooooooooooooooowly gets on her gloves and checks me.

8:21 pm
I am completely dilated. She doesn't seem to believe me how badly I need to push. I am trying to tell her the baby is coming and coming NOW! She asks how long I pushed with my other babies. I had to wait between contractions and told her I pushed about 3 minutes with my last one and only 15 with my first. AND I NEED TO PUSH NOW!!! She leaves the room to get the doctor at a snail's pace.

8:25 pm
She finally gets the doctor to come in. He walks in, sees that the baby is crowning and calmly says to his colleague who is gowning up..."You're gonna miss this if you don't hurry." The nurse is still dilly-dallying around getting the table ready, and although Dr. Mourad is nice as can be he was obviously annoyed at her. At least he was a very calming influence on me and the whole situation. He only had time to get his gloves on and the baby was there.

8:26 pm
Sophia is officially born. They put her on my belly and Joel cut the cord. I am exhausted, but so happy.

(The picture above is the official hospital pic. I will post more later tonight.)
Lara Neves
Lara Neves

Lara is mom to three daughters—two teens and a tween. She loves to share her parenting and homemaking triumphs and failures here at Overstuffed! She was diagnosed with Lyme disease in 2015 and has been fighting it ever since. When she isn't working on her mother of the year award, you can find her reading, singing, or taking photos.


  1. Just had a few thoughts with this entry...
    a) It's AMAZING how things just work out right. A-mazing. Joel being there truly was a miracle, along with your GBS status...
    b) Nurses don't want to check ruptured patients very often because it can be a source if infection, but I don't think this nurse understand what "too often" means. freak.
    c) Your nurse should be shot. :) Or, perhaps we could iron her to death with that cute heidi swapp iron?

  2. Hey Lara, wasn't she born on the 25th of July? Typo maybe? She is absolutely darling!! I love you, Mom

  3. Lara!!! Your labor sounds way better than mine! When they told me Anna was crowning I refused to believe it. I was pushing for over three hours without much to say for it so why should I believe them? It took dh looking and saying with tons of emotion, "I can see our baby!" to get me to believe it. Sophia is absolutely adorable! Congratulations!!!