Sunday, April 27, 2008

Living la vida overstuffed
(But at least I am living)

Yeah, I know I've been missing in action for nearly a week (I told you I was having a hard time coming up with anything to write). Unfortunately, if you're looking for an interesting thought or a funny story, you might as well stop reading now. I think my exhaustion has completely overtaken my life. Or maybe just my schedule has. Either way, I'm not feeling very witty.

If you insist on reading further, I figure I'll tell you all about my life the past few days. All the stuff I've done except clean my house, because, mom did that for me. Thank goodness she was here, or I'd be drowning in laundry and dishes. I also didn't weed my yard, because my dad did that for me. Anyway...just remember, you have been warned about the possible snooze fest, so here goes.


I actually did clean my house quite a bit this day in preparation for my parents to visit. Then I taught 4 lessons at SUU, with Bria in tow, since Joel was in St. George for Region Orchestra. Came home and shoveled down dinner. Went to choir practice where we rehearsed hard for our upcoming concert. (Also, I am a soloist in the Berlioz piece conducted by none other than the world's biggest Berlioz fan named Joel. The baritone is a guy I sang with in college who now lives in St. George, so it was super fun to see and sing with him again.) Came home to find my parents and their dog, Daisy, waiting for us. Yay!


Mostly I hung out with my mom and my kids. We shopped and stuff as usual. But this time we were shopping for bedding for our brand new bed, which was the reason for my parents' visit. Excuse actually might be a better word since they really just want to see the girls. But, also, they love me and Joel and they got us new mattress/box springs that they found on a great deal (had been drug through the dirt). We have been sleeping on some hand-me-down mattress/box springs that were really really really at the end of their life and causing us much grief and pain. So anyway, they borrowed a trailer and drove them down to us, and then hauled the old one straight to the dump. And a new bed requires new bedding, right?

Here is my awesome looking new bed (Thanks Mom and Dad!!!!):

In the afternoon I taught a couple lessons and then I got ready for book club which was held at my house. We read "Life of Pi" this month which was a pretty good read, I thought. Amazingly, most of the girls that came had actually read the book, too! (Apparently the discussions have been a little hard lately because people aren't reading. I wouldn't know because I haven't been able to attend the past few months.)

That night we watched "The Kingdom" with my parents. They found a company (which I'll have to link later), that sells edited versions of Rated R movies. I am not sure how they do it since these companies seem to get in trouble all the time, but I do believe they found a loophole. Anyway, my Arizona buddies know why this movie was interesting to me, as it was filmed on our student housing campus area. They were just finishing up filming when I had Sophie and moved up to Cedar City. It was cool and weird to see the place I called home for three years pretending to be an American military base in Saudi Arabia.


Went and taught my LAST LESSON OF THE SEMESTER AT SUU. Sorry for the caps. It is quite the momentous occasion, you understand.

When I got back, I did more shopping with my mom and had more fun. I bought the cutest shoes I have ever owned in my life. Joel left to Salt Lake for State Solo and Ensemble. Then I went and got my hair chopped off because I was feeling very sick of it. I don't know if I love it yet, but I do think I need to buy some more product. After my haircut, my niece came and watched the kids while my parents and I went to dinner together. Went straight to bed after we got home.


St. George lessons of course. As soon as I got back, my parents left and I dropped the kids off with my sister-in-law to spend the night. Then I went to my friend's house and got in her car and drove to Lehi to pick up Joel at his sister's house. Then we went to Salt Lake to see Carmina Burana at the Utah Symphony. Salt Lake City is 4 hours away, so this was a little tiny wee bit crazy.

So we watched this wonderful concert (and the baritone was absolutely fabulous and unforgettable), and then drove back home to Cedar City, arriving at about 2:45 in the morning. That was a 12 hour jaunt just to see the symphony with my husband and some good friends. Did I mention it was a bit crazy? But fun.

Today (Sunday):

Slept in till 10:30, and then went to pick up the girls. They had a very fun sleepover in a huge camping tent in the basement. Hurried to get everyone ready. Went to Church. Came home and threw dinner down our throats. Went to Choir rehearsal to yet again work hard for our upcoming concert. Came home.

So I thought I'd blog. And you know? This is probably the most boring blog I have written in my life. I apologize if you are still reading. I'm a little sleep deprived and foggy.

But I am still alive.
Lara Neves
Lara Neves

Lara is mom to three daughters—two teens and a tween. She loves to share her parenting and homemaking triumphs and failures here at Overstuffed! She was diagnosed with Lyme disease in 2015 and has been fighting it ever since. When she isn't working on her mother of the year award, you can find her reading, singing, or taking photos.


  1. We're nuts and you are nuts! ANd that's the truth,(stick tongue out and spit)!

  2. I did think you guys were a little crazy for your symphony trip, but your hair does look fabulous!

  3. That was not really boring--it was quite a whirlwind just to read about! And I don't actually think you're crazy for your SLC trip--but that's coming from a (dormant) cellist, sister-in-law of a vocal performance major, sister of four pianists (two of which happen to be a harpist and a flutist), sister-in-law to a jazz piano major, and daughter of a woman who had huge dreams in opera but decided to have seven children instead. So. That's just my opinion. :) Not crazy! ahhahahah

  4. Oh yes, you have a very busy few days. Sounds like fun though!

    Welcome back to blogland. And we are all very glad that you are still alive. :)

  5. Wow! Some weeks are just like that. I bet it was fun to accomplish a lot, see family, and get a bed with new bedding.

  6. Love your new bedding! And, we read life of pi for our book club...really enjoyed it!

  7. Awh, you'll look back at this one day with a smile in your heart. :)

  8. Glad you're still alive! Sounds like a whirlwind of adventure!!

  9. What a week. . . you have every right to be MIA!

    First The Life of Pi. . .I don't know how I felt about that book. I read it awhile back. It was interesting, but kind of weird. I also don't like books or movies that never really "end", and that's how I felt about that book. Was he really crazy or not?

    How was the movie? Was it worth watching? I have seen trailors and commercials, and you are right it was odd seeing our "homes".

    Love your new bedding!

  10. Glad you're still alive!! Hopefully your summer will be a little calmer. You are one busy woman!!

  11. What a week, love the bedding. Hope things get easier.

  12. Love the new bed (and bedding)! Reading your post made me feel like I haven't talked to you forever. I wish I had been able to see your new haircut last night. Hm, we'll have to get together soon (in daylight without pony tails).

  13. And you managed to blog through all of that!

    Love the new bed. Your pillows are gorgeous. Don't you love sleeping on a new mattress?