Wednesday, October 22, 2008

You want an opportunity? I'll give you an opportunity!

Obviously, my post yesterday was written in a timely fashion. Oh, it's not obvious to you? Well then, please allow me to explain.

Yesterday was supposed to go like this:

Get up by 7:00 am, get kids ready, send Bria to school at 8:30.

Meet with Sophie's speech therapist (she comes to our house) at 9:45.

Clean up the aftermath of arriving home from vacation the night before.

Check Bria out of school at 11:00 and head to her 8 year well child check, scheduled for 11:30.

Well child checks at our pediatrician are always super fast, so I should have been done in time to check Bria back into school and have Chloe to her Kindergarten class at 12:30.

Go home and prepare and eat lunch (I'm on a new diet, which I might blog about later if I lose enough weight to make it blog-worthy).

Take Sophie for a walk.

Put Sophie down for her nap.

Finish cleaning the house.

Pick up the girls at 3:30.

Do homework and reading.

Take Bria to her violin lesson at 5:30.

Come home and eat dinner.

Young Women at 7:00.

Come home and relax.

I know that's a pretty busy day, and maybe even a little overwhelming, but that is NOTHING like what really happened. What really happened is much, much worse, and a definite opportunity for Lara to practice some major patience.

Since you're dying to know, here's what really happened:

Joel left the house around 6:30 in the morning, as usual.

The rest of us didn't wake up until nearly 9:15, even though we all went to bed pretty early. I have no idea how this happened. Bria and Sophie are both up by 7:00 on normal days.

I jumped out of bed and freaked out, then decided I would just have to keep Bria home until the end of her doctor's appointment.

I still did my morning computer surf for about 10 minutes while the kids were eating breakfast, since I can't eat till my thyroid medication kicks in.

Then I ran around picking things up and ordering children to brush their teeth and getting Sophie presentable for her speech therapy.

No speech therapist, so I continued reading blogs until my phone rang at 10:15.

It was the speech therapist, naturally. She'd been at the dentist and the appointment took an hour longer than anticipated. We rescheduled.

Then, I did a little more cleaning and making sure the kids were ready.

At 11:00 we all piled in the car to head to the pediatrician.

We waited for nearly an hour in the waiting room. This never happens at my doctor's office! They are always so fast.

Then, once we got into the room, we waited another really long time for the doctor to even come.

I was starting to get a lot annoyed. Tried to remember it's just an opportunity to prove that I can be patient.

Got back into the car at 12:45. Kindergarten was already starting and the kids were hungry.

Sped home, where I parked in the driveway and opened the garage door so Chloe could run in the house to get her backpack.

I got some crackers off the garage food storage shelf for them to eat in the one minute it would take to get to the school, and backed out of the driveway.

I pushed the garage door opener, and part of the garage door completely fell off the runners. I have no idea why it did this, but for me, it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I left my garage door open, with my food storage free for the taking and took the girls to school, checked Bria in, made sure Chloe got to class okay, even though she was 20 minutes late at this point, and headed back home with Sophie.

I fiddled with the garage, but only succeeded in turning my hands black with grease and frustrating myself even more. It was now more than an hour past the time I should have eaten, so I just went into the house.

I called Joel, crying, while I made my lunch.

Then the violin teacher called and needed to change Bria's lesson to 4:00. Why not? My day is already completely shot anyway. Let's just lose our homework time, too.

I finally sat down at the computer and ate my lunch, while I let Sophie make messes.

Joel came home and put Sophie to bed for me.

I did nothing productive for an hour. I was just too frazzled by now.

At 3:30, I woke Sophie up, loaded her in the car, drove to pick up the girls and on to violin.

Chloe and I worked a little on her homework in the car while we waited for Bria to finish her lesson.

I came home and supervised homework.

Decided I should probably make dinner for my children since Joel was at jazz band.

Made the simplest dinner I could possibly think of.

We all ate.

I told the girls their room must be finished being cleaned by the time I got home from Young Women and I left.

I walked. It's always good to walk steam off on a day like today, especially when the planned walk did not work out.

Stayed at YW for a half hour and came home.

Cleaned the house.

Went to bed.

I suppose after the afternoon was over, it wasn't so bad. I'm still so ticked off about the garage door, though. Joel and I went out to look at it and even working together we couldn't get it back on track. So, if you know where I live, please don't steal my food storage or my Christmas decorations. You can totally have the old computer desk that I haven't gotten rid of yet, and if you really need little girl clothes, I guess you can have some of mine. I have a lot.

And if your husband can fix garage doors, send him right over.

Lara Neves
Lara Neves

Lara is mom to three daughters—two teens and a tween. She loves to share her parenting and homemaking triumphs and failures here at Overstuffed! She was diagnosed with Lyme disease in 2015 and has been fighting it ever since. When she isn't working on her mother of the year award, you can find her reading, singing, or taking photos.


  1. Oh sweetie! Days like that are the pits! I certainly hope you have that "double rainbow" to brighten your day soon enough.

  2. When stuff happens that could potentially be expensive, I just freak out. If the garage door did that to me, I'd probably have a meltdown.

    I love how any extra chance you get you sit at the computer. I like your style!

  3. Oh, what a day. The moral of the story is: never pray for patience or you may just be given the opportunity to develop it :)

    I hope today goes much smoother, and you can get that garage door back on track before you have a run on your food storage. On the upside if your food storage looks like most people's nobody will want it- who knows what to do with a million pounds of wheat?

  4. I know that when I have really crappy days, they make me appreciate the other days so much more.

    I hope today is one of those other days!

  5. Oh my heack!!!!! I've had days just like that!! No wonder motherhood, wifehood or just plain hood is soooo challenging! This too shall pass!

  6. Oh, what a crazy day! I'm so sorry all of that happened to you at once. If we lived closer, I would totally send my husband over to you! He's a handyman.

  7. Oh, man! I know exactly how you feel—every time I have a day like that (and I totally set myself up for days like that because I too always try to cram way too much into a day) and things start to go haywire, I completely shut down. I end up getting nothing done, because I just can't deal with it, and then I just feel worse for not having done anything! Argh, a vicious cycle. But it's the worst when things like your garage door incident happen—those completely uncontrollable things always seem to happen at the worst moment! Glad you have a sense of humor about it, though!

  8. Aww! I hope today is better!

  9. Ugh....What a day!
    Sorry about the garage door. Ours is still messed up since I back out of it when it was only half way up!

  10. I meant - backed out

  11. I am so sorry!! I hate days like that. I don't know if Sam knows anything about garages (but he did fix your heater, who knew?)but I can send him over later tonight?

  12. That's sounds awful. I'm so sorry! I hate waiting for things, and usually something happens when I'm running late.

  13. Some days I find myself whining about the fact that all my 3 little ones are not in school yet. After reading this, I feel much better as I see that the shear bussing the kids around is a nightmare.

    What a day! ((hugs))

  14. I hope your day today is much better than yesterday. We all have those kinds of days once in a while and so I know and feel your pain and frustration. When my garage door did that I ended up having to call a garage door technician. Hopefully you can find someone who can do it without the cost of paying a professional. Hang in there!

  15. Oh the garage door issues! Luke's birthday present (and mine too) from my mom was a check to get our garage door fixed. Hope yours gets working soon!

  16. What a day! When it rains it pours!! There is never a day that just one thing goes wrong but everything has to go wrong. I hope your day today was better.

  17. I'd be a mess.
    You are a real trooper.
    Go you.

  18. I hate days like that. I had a day a few weeks ago when my garage door wouldn't shut, it kept reopening and I had to leave for work... and there is no way I would've left it open all day while I was gone. I was seriously freaking out. After a little prayer (that always works it seems) and pushing all the little buttons on the remote that I never use, I got it to close. But talk about panic.

  19. Phewf. What a day!!! I feel your pain. Good job making lemonade out of lemons, though, I think you handled it with panache. Even the part about you crying while making lunch and talking to Joel. Because I totally do that, too. :)

  20. I'm so sorry you had such a rough day. I'm impressed that you actually got out to try and see what happened to the garage door, though. I think I would have just had a fit, kept the girls home and whined to my husband. You handled it much better.